St John’s has many opportunities to volunteer. It’s a great way to connect with the rest of the parish, meet new friends and help the church at the same time! We could not survive without our cadre of volunteers.
- Look at the Mass itself: Sacristans, Lectors, Ushers, Eucharistic Ministers, Musicians, all volunteers.
- Religious Ed programs: principals, teachers, aides, all volunteers
- Youth Ministry: teachers, musicians, teens/adults for Appalachian Service Project (ASP), all volunteers
- Social Ministry: Hospitality Dinners, Confronting Global Poverty, visiting homes, hospitals, nursing homes, all volunteers
- Funerals: meet with families, Sacristans, Ushers, Eucharistic Ministers, Receptions, Bereavement, all volunteers
You get the idea. There is a volunteer position for every type of person. Please read the Parish Ministries List and see where you would like to help.
If you read about a position or see an activity you would like to join, please call the Parish office (410-964-1425) and we will direct you to the appropriate person to get additional information or sign up.
In order to begin, the Archdiocese of Baltimore requires all volunteers to be VIRTUS certified. In addition, if you want to work directly with children, we will request additional information: three references, a background check using your Social Security number, and training. If you wish to be a driver you also will be asked for your driver’s license.
This can all now be completed online by going to http://www.stjohnscolumbiamd.org/virtus-page/ . To begin with you will “Signup” and create your own user name and password. If you need to return to the site you will just “Login”.
If you are unable to do this from home or you don’t have a printer, please make arrangements with the office at WLIFC to come in and complete the information there by calling Jan (410-964-1425 x324).